Wednesday, July 6, 2022

Close

Home Business Trade Business Bangladesh Amongst Top 20 Potential Countries in Solar Farm Capacity

Bangladesh Amongst Top 20 Potential Countries in Solar Farm Capacity

According to data published lately by the Global Energy Monitor, Bangladesh is one of the top 20 countries with potential solar farm capacity (GEM). Bangladesh may now develop capacity to generate 554.17MW of electricity from solar power and 2.9MW from wind power. However, it stated that the country is not among the current top 20 wind power capacity nations.

GEM, a San Francisco-based monitor of fossil fuel and renewable energy projects, unveiled this new tracker on May 24th, displaying country-by-country construction of utility-scale solar and wind energy projects. GEM has released two new tools for tracking the global transition to renewable energy: a wind power tracker covering wind farm phases of 10 megawatts (MW) or more, and a solar power tracker covering utility-scale solar PV farm phases of 20MW or more (in Arabic-speaking countries, it is 10MW or more).

The two trackers provide project-level data on the speed and extent to which countries are building out wind and solar power by combining government, business, and other public data. According to the tracker, Bangladesh has the development capability for approximately 2,665 prospective solar farms and only 355 prospective wind farms. There are 34 solar farm phase counts in the country, but only seven wind farm phase counts.

A solar project phase is a set of one or more solar units that are installed under one permit and one power purchase agreement and often come online at the same time. However, the report did not mention the possibility of increasing electricity producing capacity through solar and wind energy. Bangladesh could currently develop ability to generate 554.17MW of electricity from solar power and 2.9MW from wind power, while the country’s total power producing capacity – excluding captive power – exceeds 22GW.

The recently launched Global Solar Power Tracker catalogs every solar farm phase at these capacity thresholds, regardless of status, such as operational, announced, under development, under construction, shelved, cancelled, mothballed, or retired. The Global Wind Power Tracker (GWPT) catalogs 13,263 operational utility-scale wind farm phases with a total capacity of 681.4GW in 144 countries, as well as further wind farm phases with a potential capacity of 882GW. China has the most operational utility-scale wind projects, with 261.2GW, the US has 127.3GW, Germany has 39.6GW, Spain has 26.8GW, and India has 23.7GW.

The Global Solar Power Tracker (GSPT) lists 5,190 operational utility-scale solar farm stages totaling 289.7GW in 148 countries, as well as 3,551 prospective projects totaling 651.6GW. Utility-scale solar projects account for around 65 percent of total global solar capacity, with residential and commercial installations accounting for the remaining 35 percent. China has 130.3GW of operational utility-scale solar projects, the US has 43.4GW, India has 29.0GW, Vietnam has 11.3GW, and Mexico has 10.5GW.

“Measuring progress toward the energy transition requires capturing the full scope of utility solar and wind energy build-out around the world,” said Ingrid Behrsin, project manager for GEM’s Global Wind Power Tracker. “With open-access project-level data like this, we are now in a much stronger position to track how countries stand up against their own declared renewables goals.”

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

- Advertisment -
  • Latest
  • Popular

Latest Comments